Balsamic Braised Chicken Thighs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Seven Barrels Sweet Basil olive oil
- 3/4 cup Seven Barrels Traditional Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh torn basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, for sauce
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
When pan is hot, add olive oil and swirl around pan, covering chicken thighs; brown chicken on all sides.
Remove chicken to a plate and sauce onions until deeply browned.
Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of the Seven Barrels balsamic vinegar and stir in torn basil and chopped rosemary, ground pepper, bay leaf and remaining 1/2 cup balsamic, chicken stock and agave nectar or honey.
Bring ingredients to a boil and add the browned chicken thighs back to the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, turning a few times until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
Note: Alternatively, you can finish the chicken in the oven, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and liquid reduces by half.
Remove chicken to a plate, stir in a nob (about 2 tablespoons) of butter and whisk into the sauce, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the chicken thighs over cooked egg noodles or rice with some of the balsamic sauce on top.